Himal Southasian is the region’s pioneering – and now digital – magazine of politics and culture. For over 30 years, the magazine has been covering Southasia, publishing independent journalism and critical writings on the region – originally based in Nepal and recently re-established in Sri Lanka.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and energetic individual to fill the position of Office Manager.
- Assist the Finance and Administration Manager in all tasks as needed, including drafting letters, documents and vouchers, dispatching and receiving correspondence, obtaining signatures, handling petty cash, and filing and indexing.
- Maintain Himal Southasian’s office reception, take and coordinate calls on behalf of the organisation, and arrange meetings and visits for the editorial team.
- Maintain employees’ daily attendance and leave register.
- Coordinate with the Finance and Administration Manager to make sure that all payments are made and received in time.
- Ensure all the necessary office supplies and other necessary goods and services are procured as needed.
- Go to banks, tax department and other offices to send or collect documents, or make payments as frequently as needed.
- Maintain all office equipment and inventory and make necessary arrangements for repair when needed.
- Ensure the office space is maintained to a good, working standard and make arrangements for refurbishment when needed.
Skills and Requirements
- GCE (A/L) or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Tamil and/or Sinhala will be added advantage
- Ability to draft letters.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, including Word and Excel.
- Three years of working experience, of which at least one year in similar capacity will be an added advantage.
- Training and experience in accounting and/or HR will be added advantage
A hands-on person who can multitask, find quick solutions to practical problems, take responsibility for the assigned tasks, and work with a small but dynamic team.
The remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s skills, experience and proven performance, and will be within the range of Rs. 40,000 – Rs. 50,000. This is a full-time position based out of our office at Hampden Lane, Colombo-6, Sri Lanka.
Submission and deadline
To submit your application:
- Complete the online application form at bit.ly/office-manager-himal.
- Make sure you send your CV to email@example.com with the subject ‘Application for Office Manager‘. The deadline for the submissions is midnight 6 September 2019. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
An intern at Himal Southasian can expect to be involved in all aspects of the magazine’s editorial and administrative operations – as needed to support its publication. An intern will be expected to have a lively interest in politics and culture, and to be a skilled reader and writer in English. Online and multimedia skills will be a major added advantage. He or she should be willing to rise to a range of tasks, alongside all Himal staff. All applicants need to be over 18 years of age and available to work for at least three months (full/part time) from a given start date. Remuneration for the full-time internship is LKR 15,000 per month.