Himal Southasian, the region’s pioneering digital magazine of politics and culture, is looking to expand its team by hiring a fact checker. Selected candidate will report to the Editor.
- You will be responsible for verifying the accuracy of everything we publish.
- You will be creative in seeking out information from all manners of sources, including but not limited to, journalistic reports in the public domain, documents produced by government and non-government bodies, books available online (or their previews in public domain) and academic works, among other things.
- You will ensure the timely fact checking of all the content the team is working on.
- You will assist the editors in doing the necessary research in the course of the development of an article in coordination with the editors.
- You will provide support to other aspects of our publication process.
- Strong written and spoken English-language skills.
- Interest in meticulous details, and the ability to exercise sound judgment in the choice of sources and the process of verification, in consultation with the editors.
- Keen interest in Southasian history, economy, culture, geopolitics and current affairs.
- Some experience in journalism, editing, reporting, researching or writing.
- Candidates with experience working for an academic journal or unusual work projects like independent research are also encouraged to apply.
Contract Duration: One year with possible extension upon satisfactory performance. The position, based in Colombo, Sri Lanka, is open from December 2018 onward, subject to the candidate’s availability.
Salary: LKR 50,000 – 70,000, based on skills, ability, experience and proven performance
Deadline: Please submit the application with your CV, a cover letter explaining your interest in working with Himal Southasian, and a one-page note on ‘The role of fact checking in journalism today’ (300-600 words), no later than 18 November 2018 midnight Sri Lanka time to [email protected] with the subject line: “Application for Fact Checker”. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a fact-checking test and interview.